How the „Schiefe Eck“ becam the „Zum Gequetschten“
in 1578 The property ist first documented as belonging to the
Bonntownman Johann Hammacher
in 1636 It was called the „Elephant“, later the „Black Crow“ and
then, being “Schiefe Eck”, it becam in
1850 “Zum Gequetschten”
Wat a curios mutation!
Always a favourite with country-people, it was here they used to come after regation-processions, the cross-bearers at the front. As they couldn`t very well bring in the cross with the Saviour, they placed it carefully behind the entrance-door. But high-spirited students also came to the inn, pounding trough the door, without realising the cross was behind it – getting badly squashed.
In this sad state, the country-folk later found their cross. The story spread quickley and the “Schiefe Eck” soon becam the “Zum Gequetschten”.
in 1905 Peter Josef Frings foundet the brewery RINGS in Bonn
in 1916 It was then bought at auction by Anton Real, owner of the
Cologne brewery “Sternche” placed An der Linde.
in 1919 This buisiness was leased to Wilhelm Machold, who
changed its name to the Machold Brewery.
Thirsty Bonn townspeople could have 5 L syphons
filled up here for a mere 2,75 RM and take them
off home to drink when they pleased.
in 1928 Wilhelm had bought a house at nr. 9 Rosental, Frieda
sought to increase inherited property.
in 1930 Wilhelm Machold bought the brewery and took a leasehold.
in 1932 On the restaurant “Monopol” in the Sternstraße. So osto
open a spezial Macheold tavern.
in 1936 When her father died, Frieda Machold took over the
brewery. Managing it herself for a further 25 years.
in 1934 She was able to purchase nr. 52 Heerstraße.
in 1935 She also bought the Weinhaus Wittmann at 6, Hundsgasse
(today`s Lufthansa Complex), as well as a house in the
Ermekeilstraße in 1937.
in 1939 She begann employing a brewer, till he was called up to
in 1941 Frieda Machold signed a lease-brewing-agreement with the
Vivic Brewery in Bonn, till the end of 1944. She then
continued brewing herself, as long as her Malt-supply
lasted: a 2% beer. She called it “Hopspearls”.
in 1947 The beer doubled strength. It was a 4% barley-juice, named
“Machold beer”. At times, Frieda was obliged to scrape raw
materials together, just however she could.
in 1950 Frieda Machold purchased one of the old Bonn Inns:
Zum Gequetschten”. It was therefore an old brewery
tradition that ended when she died on January 22 nd 1985,
almost 88 yrs. old.
Almost all her life had been associated with beer and his making.